为了简洁起见,有些状语从句(如时间状语从句、条件状语从句、方法状语从句等)有时可省略从句的主语和部分谓语(特别是当从句主语与主句主语一致,且从句谓语包含有动词be时):
She fell asleep while (he was) doing his homework. 他在做作业时睡着了。
While (he was) doing so, he trembled a little. 他如此做时稍稍颤抖了一下。
He opened his mouth as if (he was) to speak. 他张开口,仿佛要说话似的。
Often she would weep when (she was) alone. 她一个人时,常常哭泣。
Id like to see you whenever (its) convenient. 在你便捷的时候我想来看你。
If (you are) traveling north,you must change at Leeds. 假如你是向北行,你需要在里兹换车。
有的由if构成的省略结构,已属固定短语,如if any, if necessary, if possible, if not, if so:
There are few, if any, mistakes in that book. 那本书就是有错误也不多。
If necessary, ring me at home. 假如必要,可以打电话到我家找我。
If possible, I wish to go there next summer. 假如可能,我期望明年夏季去。
He may be busy. If so, Ill call later. If not, can I see him now? 他可能非常忙,如果如此,我将来再来拜访。如果不忙,我目前可以见他吗?